Collection Ad is an emerging ad format that supports showing thumb-stopping content and products in the same ad. The main creative can be either an image or a video. Nosto recommends using a short video, up to 15 seconds, if suitable media is available. Media is uploaded through Nosto’s interface during the ad creation process.
End-user experience: When the ad area is clicked, the ad uses the full screen-estate opening up in a canvas-format listing eight up to thirty products. In case a product is clicked, the end-user is directed to the product page on the advertiser’s site. In essence, Collection Ad creates an experience similar to category pages on the site but on Facebook mobile.
Targeting and platforms: The Collection Ad Format only supports Facebook mobile, meaning it is especially intended for new customer acquisition and to acquire users in early discovery-phase. Technically you can use collection also for re-targeting, but in this case pay special attention to your creative.
According to 2017 statistics, collection ads created in Nosto outperformed carousel ads when target audience was new customers, and especially when the main creative was a video. On the contrary, carousel performed better than collection.
Media file requirements
- You can create video ads that contain almost all types of video files, but we recommend using the MP4 or MOV format. (.gif is supported as a video)
- Length: 120 minutes max. Tip: Shorter videos get more completed views. More people watch to the end of videos that are 15 seconds or less.
- Minimum resolution: 600 x 315 pixels (1.9:1 landscape) or 600 x 600 pixels (square)
- File size: up to 4GB
- Video aspect ratio: 16:9 or 1:1
- Your video thumbnail may not include more than 20% text.
- Recommended image size: 1200 x 628 pixels
- Image ratio: 1.91 : 1
- Your image may not include more than 20% text.
Please be patient when the media uploads. If you’re uploading a big video file and have a slow Internet connection, the upload might take several minutes.
Product relations: Product relations allow you to narrow down what products are shown in your prospecting ad. Compelling creative is imperative for your ad to stand out from the Facebook feed, but eventually your products are what really drive the visits to your site. We recommend to align your creative and products to optimise your ad's performance.
You can choose from three relations:
- Use the product category to showcase only the most popular products in the selected category in the canvas view. This is a good option when your main creative represents a full product range.
- Select an individual product to showcase only a single product or other products which are similar or related to it. When only one product is selected, the other products which are shown in the canvas view are alternatives based on Nosto’s behavioural data and product page upselling algorithm.
- If you select more than one product, other products shown in the canvas are also selected by Nosto’s behavioural data based on cart cross-seller algorithm.
You can further narrow down the product scope in the next steps by using the “include” and “exclude” rules. For example, only advertise products within a certain price range. Alternatively, you can exclude unwanted product groups such as gift cards.
Headline: Text-based creative. The marketing text [Example: preparing for an adventure? Keep your head warm] is shown above the creative media while the headline [Still searching, always exploring] is shown below the media and above the product preview. Headline should entice users to click the ad so ideally create a good call-to-action, which drive clicks and also suggest what happens after a user has clicked the ad.